Enhanced Online Farmer’s Market
Locally Grown is like an online farmers’ market and each customer buys from the individual producer. Each product must be produced locally. All are responsible to be transparent about their growing practices.
The Freshest Food Available – Picked to Order
A unique part of Locally Grown is that the vegetables, fruits, herbs, flowers, baked products, and dairy/egg products are not sitting around on a shelf or warehouse somewhere waiting to be ordered. They are still growing and staying fresh in their grower’s care and they are not picked or produced until you order it. This allows the utmost of nutrition to be available for you when you receive it.
Product Standards for Locally Grown
- No artificial chemical pesticides or herbicides used in the growing of the fresh produce.
- No virgin land must have been cleared in the production.
- Animal products must be from animals kept in free ranging pastures.
- There is zero tolerance for animal cruelty.
- All products sold at the market must be grown/produced within 100 kilometers of the vendors location as presented on vendor registration (as determined by Google Maps).
- Products sold by the vendor must be produced by the vendor.
- May only sell items purchased from third parties if significant modifications have been made by locally Grown vendor such that a new product is formed.
- No illegal items may be sold.
- No alcohol may be sold.
- All items sold on this platform must be packaged 100% plastic free! There is zero tolerance for plastic! Orders may be packaged in paper bags or cardboard boxes. Please see cornstarch packaging if you wish to use something that resembles plastic.
- Items purchased from third parties and used in the production of products sold on this platform must also meet the all above requirements except that the 100 km requirement is extended to be South African produced.
- All photos must be taken by the vendor or actually be of the vendors farm!
- VENDORS MAY NOT USE GENERIC/STOCK PHOTOS FROM GOOGLE ect.
Our Local Growers and Artisans
Locally Grown is a dynamic network of small farms, food artisans, crafters and gardeners located around South Africa and founded in the spring of 2018. All members are dedicated to supplying their customers with the freshest and highest quality vegetables, herbs, baked goods, milled products, dairy, eggs, meats, fruits, flowers, and transplants. Participating producers vary in size, farming methods and specialty, but all carry the common thread of dedication to creating a sustainable local food community.
Why Support Locally Grown?
Enhance local economy: By purchasing produce and other items from local growers you are providing stability to your local economy through the support of local businesses.
Save natural resources: Buying locally makes you an invaluable link in the process of saving resources such as fossil fuels and packaging materials. Also, we are right here in your community so the expense of transportation and delivery is kept to a minimum.
Supporting a way of life: The number of small farms in the South Africa and the world for that matter, has decreased dramatically in the last decade. Please help us preserve an honest and worthy means of making a living.
Eat healthier: Most grocery store foods travel from 1,500 to 2,500 miles from farm to table. Studies have shown that fresher foods are healthier foods as foods lose vitamins and nutrition in storage.
Unfortunately, for many years our country has lessened its dependence on local food and local farmers and has trusted in the global food supply present in grocery stores and supercenters. We are now in need of rebuilding the network of our local farms and farmers producing foods (not just agricultural inputs and commodities) that make a region strong, resilient, and sustainable.
We believe that small, diverse, family-owned farms contribute to society’s overall health and the strength of our country as a whole.
Neighbors you know and trust
Locally Grown is committed to bring local growers to local customers to form a direct relationship, yet having the ease of one point of sale, one online shopping cart…and delivery to a drop-off point or delivered to the home. The customer pays Locally Grown one aggregated payment, then Locally Grown pays each producer. Easy as apple pie!